Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb. Klondike Rose® potatoes, scrubbed but unpeeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup blanched whole almonds
- 4 green onions, white parts and two thirds of the green parts, minced
- 4 tsp. small capers, drained
- 16 large mint leaves, stacked, rolled like a cigar, and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 12 basil leaves, stacked, rolled like a cigar, and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Put the almonds on a small sheet pan or pie plate and toast for 17 minutes, or until browned but not too dark. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan with 2 quarts cold water and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat, simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Mash the potatoes while still warm and put into a large bowl. Add the green onions, capers, almonds, mint, and basil.
- In a small bowl, mix the oil, vinegar, and lemon juice with the crushed red pepper. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Pour over potato mixture and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Taste before serving, as potato mixture may absorb some of the flavors. Add more spices if necessary.